GPS tracking devices for kids have become popular over the past years. It is comforting for parents to know that they can always locate their child or get alerted if something goes wrong. As such, a gps tracking device for kids is meant to keep kids safe and keep parents free from stress. At the same time, smartwatches for kids are also increasingly becoming popular. A smartwatch for kids – including fitness trackers for kids – may look more like an entertaining gadget but don’t be fooled; they may educate and motivate your child !
But among all the gps tracking devices for kids on the market, how do you find the kids gps that fits your needs best? And how do you choose a smartwatch for kids that will not only entertain your child but also educate it n an exciting way? This article helps you understand the different functions of gps and smartwatches for kids and choose the best child tracker or smartwatch for your children…
Why GPS trackers for kids do make a difference
Why do more and more parents give their children GPS tracking devices for kids ? Because it keeps them from worrying about their children. Wouldn’t it be a great relief if you could always know were your child is? And wouldn’t it be even greater to see your child moving in real time on a map? A child locator can do that! And wouldn’t it be wonderful if a child tracker would alert you when your kid left an area it is not supposed to leave? Wouldn’t it be nice to know your child just needs to press the SOS button of its gps watch for kids to reach you or another close family member? Because sometimes some things may go wrong or not as expected. And then a gps tracking device for kids does make a great difference.
The different types of tracking devices for kids on the market
Have you too been looking for the best GPS for kids to keep your children safe? Was it hard to determine which gps tracker is best for your kid? It wouldn’t surprise me, since the range of gps trackers is increasing day after day. There are many types of GPS trackers for kids on the market and you can buy most of them at a reasonable price. But what are the best GPS for kids and teens? Below we have a look at the different types of kids gps you can choose from: gps watches for kids , portable gps tracking devices for kids , tracking bracelets for kids add id bracelets for kids
1. Gps watch for kids or gps tracking bracelet for kids for children above 7 years old
A GPS watch for kids – also called a gps tracking bracelet for kids – is your best choice if you always want to know where your child or early teenager is. Children love the idea that they can always reach you when needed by pressing the SOS button of the gps tracking bracelet . The main feature of a kid gps watch is that you can locate your kid on a map thanks to the gps in the watch. Not all gps watches for kids have an SOS button, but many do, for example the TBS Phone watch for kids. This type of GPS child locator is perfect for children from age 7 and up. Gps tracking bracelets for kids are popular with kids since they look cool. Moreover this type of child tracker provides your child early on with a degree of responsibility and independence.
Read our reviews for gps tracking bracelets for kids
Consult our comparison guide to choose the the best gps kids watch
2. Portable GPS tracking devices for kids for children older than 12
Choose a portable GPS tracking device for kids when your children are a little bit older, from age 12 on. The main feature of this type of child tracking device is that you can always check the whereabouts of your child on a map when your kid has his tracking device with him. These types of GPS trackers are extremely versatile: they can be attached to (hand)bags, belts, luggage, or hidden inside bags or luggage or even cars. Once your child gets older and stats driving, you can use it as a GPS tracker for car. If your teenager moves away or gets an own car, you can use this tracking device to track the car of other persons, such as your partner or an employee. Some portable gps tracking devices for kids can be used to track pets or even track valuables. Some portables tracking devices (for example the GreatCall Medical Alert kid gps child locator) even have a medical alert system. Other gps trackers for kids (fro example the Amber Alert GPS children tracker) have a sex offender alert system. Check more portable GPS tracking devices for kids
Compare features from our selection of portable best GPS for kids
3. Child tracking bracelet for kids – specifically toddlers and small children
A child tracking bracelet for kids is situated somewhere between a gps watch and a portable gps tracking device for kids . As such, a child tracking bracelet for kids is ideal for toddlers and small children. Tracking bracelets for kids are used by parents to track their child when they go to a public place where it could easily get lost. They work without gps. Gps is not needed, because smaller children don’t go out alone, but stay in your neighborhood. A kids tracking bracelet works together with a receiver which is held by the parent. The receiver will warn you when your child wanders too far away from you. Some child tacking bracelets (for example the My Buddy Tag wristband ) posseses a water safety function. Others (for example the Guardian Angel child Children locator allow your to track several children simultaneously. When using a child tracking bracelet, you never again lose your child at the mall, in a swimming pool, at the playground, on the beach, or in a community park. Kids tracking bracelets are also great tracking devices to take with you when travel with your small kids .
Pick a child tracking bracelet from our guide
4. ID bracelets for kids – get easily united with your lost child
Loosing your child at the community park, fun park, playground or beach is a nightmare for every parent. In such a situation, id bracelets for kids are a necessary item to find your small lost child back easily. They contain all the necessary information for people that find your kind wandering around or for police officials to identify your child and contact you. So while a child tracking bracelet (see above) has a preventive function so you don’t use your child, a kids id bracelet is meant to be reunited with your child when you get parted. As such, an id bracelet for kids and a child tracking bracelet for kids are compatible and should best be used together so you don’t lose your child or find it back easily in case it does happen. Some id bracelets for kids are specifically designed for traveling (for example Travel ID Bands. Others are specifically designed to bear medical data (for example the SmartKidsID Medical ID bracelet with QR code).
Main criteria when choosing the best GPS for kids
* The age of your child is important when choosing a tracking device for kids – For smaller children (below age 6) who don’t go out without their parents, a kids tracking bracelet without gps is the best option. A gps watch for kids is ideal for kids between 6 and 14 years old. Portable GPS trackers on the other hand are ideal for children above 12, and especially come in handy for tracking driving teenagers.
* Do I want to receive alerts when my child leaves a set zone? – Both among the portable gps tracking devices , gps watches for kids and child tracking bracelets you find devices that will alert you when your child leaves a certain area. Obviously, since a child tracking bracelet for kids works without gps, the defined alert zone is quite small. Have a look at our comparison guide for gps watches for kids and portable gps tracking devices for kids to see which devices come with alert zones.
* Battery life of the GPS for kids – Bear in mind that a tracking device with many extra features may be a nicer gadget but drains the battery. The most important function of a tracking device for kids is that you should always be able to locate your kid. So opt for a good battery life first and look for extra features second.
* Do I want tracking history or only real time tracking? – Many tracking devices let you save the tracking history of your child. This can be important if you are looking for patterns for example. Otherwise real time tracking does the job.
* Accuracy of the child locator – The accuracy of gps trackers is not always easy to pinpoint before you use it yourself. Read the reveiw of your first choice in detail to see if we have more information on accuracy.
* Does the child locator tracking device have an SOS button ? – This is quite an important feature. The SOS button of a portable gps tracking device or gps watch for kids allows your child to reach you in no time. It may also bring peace of mind, both for you and your child.
* Do you need to pay a monthly service fee for the GPS tracking devices for kids? – For gps tracking devices – both watches and portables – you have to pay a monthly service. This is normal since you use a sim card to transfer location data and often you also can call to your child. Check rates before you buy.
* Is the gps tracking device for kids compatible with my smartphone operating system? – Does the tracking device I want to buy have an app for my smartphone system (iphone, android or windows)? If no app is available, there’s often a platform on the internet where you can check the location data of your child.
* What extra features do I want from my kids tracking device? – Mp3-player, sex offender alert (so called predator alert), medical alert system, heart rate system, ecg, pedometer, alarm clock, … Many features are available, but most do not come in one device, so pick your device according to your (child’s) most important needs. But the choice of your tracking device child locator itself remains personal.
How to pick the best GPS for kids or id bracelet?
Discover the best portable gps tracking devices for kids
Check reviews on child tracking bracelets for kids and id bracelets for kids
Discover smartwatches and fitness trackers for kids
Smartwatches and fitness trackers for children are great wearables to educate your kid and keep it busy in a a fun and challenging way. They stimulate your child for active play, being creative or learning things. Mostly, a smartwatch for kids comes with multimedia functions. Kids love them since they look cute or cool and give them a feeling of independence. But which kids activity tracker or smartwatch for kids should you choose? Our selection helps you…
1. Choosing the best smartwatch for kids
A smartwatch for kids is a wonderful gadget that educates and entertains your child in a fun way. Mostly, it comes with a bunch of multimedia functions – for example the Kidizoom and the Orbo smartwatches for kids. The VTech Kidizoom Smartwatch has a camera and video that help enhance your kid’s creativity. A good smartwatch for kids also has learning games so your kid learns while he or she plays. The Orbo smartwatch for kids with camera is similar to the Kidizoom and comes with a talking hippo. Whichever smartwatch your pick for your kid, make sure you check the battery life and if it’s splashproof. As a parent you also may want to have a control over your child’s playing around with an app or platform which integrates with the smartwatch for kids. So check if that function is available.
Discover the best smartwatches for kids on our page on best smartwatch for kids
2. Picking the right kids activity tracker
The main function of a kids activity tracker is to motivate your child to be active and stay healthy. Your kid will have loads of fun moving around and getting rewarded with a fitness tracker for kids, for example the Leapfrog Leapband or the X-Doria KidFit. Some activity trackers for kids such as the Leapfrog Leapband let you feed virtual pets upon which you can earn points: fitness becomes a game. See that the kids activity tracker offers plenty of fun and challenging activity games so it keeps your child busy for some time. According to the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics in Cleveland, activity trackers for kids can help you keep your child healthy. The X-Doria is another fitness tracker for kids which helps your kid achieve certain physical goals and stay fit and healthy. Also don’t forget to check if as a parent you can control what your child does with an app or platform.
Discover the best kids activity tracker
Image courtesy of Imagerymajestic, Photostock and Artur84 at FreeDigitalPhotos.net / image GPS trackers: Amazon.com